Saturday, December 09, 2006

Stained Glass


Here is one of many stained glass windows we found at the Kiev Synagogue. It was originally built by Lazar Brodsky, a wealthy Jewish philanthropist in 1898. Unfortunately, in 1926 it was confiscated by the Communist regime and then eventually fell under Nazi control during World War II. In 1991, after the fall of communism, it was final returned to the Jewish community. It wasn't long before it was renovated/rebuilt and opened to serve the local Jewish community, which consists of approximately 100,000 people.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I love the photos you've posted the last three days. The close-up of this one with the Star of David and Menorah and weeping individual speaks volumes! Great captures!!

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bright colors of this window somehow don't match the sadness of the figure. It's a gorgeous window, brought me in from the portal site.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Curly said...

Excellent pictures posted here, I love the colour saturation that you have achieved with this stained glass window. I'll have to drop by a bit more regularly!

Curly's Photoshop

11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The colours attracted me there too, and I love what I see.

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home